Skip to main content


UNEMPLOYMENT AFTER SCHOOL: DISCOVER HOW TO HELP YOURSELF!
(A true life story of a Nigerian youth who studied in a University in US)

“I urge students to try and think outside the box. There are a lot…a damn lot…of ways to make money to propel you and your plans to the future, just make use of your true friend…YOUR BRAIN. It’s begging you to use it. You guys should really stop graduating from school, just to contribute to the rate of unemployment in Nigeria.”
This article discusses the different reasons for unemployment and how undergraduates can make money while preparing for graduate life.

Unemployment rate is high. Why? Some say it’s because of excessive corruption. No it’s not. Or is it from the Universities? Definitely not!

Our graduates are unemployed because of a plethora of reasons. The main reason being laziness and tenacious fantasies! 

In terms of communication, our graduates cannot make a complete sentence. Their grasp of the English Language is so poor that interviewers find it hard to understand them (I’m a young employer).

Basic English Language should be learnt in nursery, primary school and high school only. Before you get admitted into a University, they believe you are an adult that can think for him/herself. A University teaches you how to survive in life, and not how to speak English or force you to read. Most students don’t like reading, they learn to speak by hearing and emulation. You hear things like “…according to Senator Patrick Obahiagbon…” they want to learn the fanciful words before learning when to differentiate between ‘their’ and ‘there’.

So don’t blame our Universities for our poor graduates’ vocabularies.

Next, unemployment is high because our graduates just wanted to enter a University because it was the ‘in thing’ or they just want to be called a ‘graduate’.
They don’t know that a University prepares one for the harsh reality of life. That’s why you should always develop your talent; study a course based on your talent.
Next, unemployment is high because our graduates have no plans after graduation.
Their plans are to;
1. Graduate
2. Enjoy NYSC
3. Get a 7am-6pm job with a successful bank
4. Get enlisted as one of those soon to be fired after a massive shake up in the bank
5. Get fired
6. Repeats from No 3
….and the circle continues…but these people still fantasize on being as rich as Dangote! How?

Now, this is where I’ll put the blame on Nigerian Universities. No pun intended but our education sector is still a slave to our colonial masters.

We’re still making use of the British system of education, that basically teaches you how to ‘carry on’ in life, instead of the American system of education that teaches you how to ‘start from scratch and survive’ in life.

Little wonder Britain is so small and America is so large. A graduate of the American system doesn’t have the mindset to ‘work for someone’. He/she wants to start something new…and there are a lot of new things to be discovered, just look around and think outside the box.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. I used my brilliance to tout around, jumping from different Nigerian Universities till I was almost 28.

One day, I told myself that my life is going nowhere. At 28, not a graduate, no investments, nothing. I was just a nobody.

I got admission into a University in            US. I promised to study, and I really studied. I didn’t have a choice, my sponsor warned me that I’ll have to work and study. Only my tuition, accommodation and fees will be paid directly into the schools account.
I didn’t want to work, so after about 2 months, my account was in the red, no source of money for that semester. It affected my studies for that semester till I thought of a plan to make money while maintaining my steadfast studiousness.
I drafted a list of all my instructors (lecturers). I knew I had excellent grades so it wouldn’t be difficult to get money off them. Before the end of that semester, I was almost $3000 richer from teacher-begging.

But I didn’t know that good things still awaits me. One of the lecturers advised me to apply for a scholarship. That it would make finances easier on me and my sponsor. I thought that was a good idea, till I advanced on it; I decided to apply for scholarship and not tell my sponsor.

I was on scholarship throughout my undergraduate days. My sponsor paid my fees directly into the school account, even if I told the person that I was on scholarship, he/she wouldn’t believe me.

So I read, maintained my A+ grades, collected money from Instructors, the school President, and the Dean (they are always happy to help an honor student). My main motivation was the money piling up in the school account. If you know the tuition and fees of Universities in the States, do the math…calculate 5 full semesters and 4 summer semesters…that’s how much that was waiting for me when I graduated (when you graduate, the school gives you all excess monies in your school account).

This can be applied in Nigerian Universities.

That’s how I got the finances to start up and be my own boss.
Try and see money where no one sees it.

I immediately pursued my masters without delay. And now I’ve invested and set.
Being a humble Nigerian, I want to serve my country briefly for 10 years and fully expend my skills there…while watching my investments grow.

I urge students to try and think outside the box. There are a lot…a damn lot…of ways to make money to propel you and your plans to the future, just make use of your true friend…YOUR BRAIN. It’s begging you to use it. You guys should really stop graduating from school, just to contribute to the rate of unemployment in Nigeria.
Culled from Brain Builders

If you think this piece can be useful to others, please consider sharing it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

The greatest discovery a person can ever make is the discovery of his or her life’s purpose. And this is the fastest route to fulfillment in life. -Olapurpose James Asu
 
Purpose Discovery Platform for All Nigeria Youths is the real place to showcase your potential and release your uniqueness in order to realize the greatness resident in You!

P.D.P.A.F.N.Y…releasing youths uniqueness and realising greatness!

You can be the next Superstar!

To Get the Best of What We Do, Feel Free to Visit Our Facebook Page and Click the “LIKE” Button. Here is the link to our Page: 

We welcome your contributions and comments.

JOIN US TODAY!
DO YOU HAVE AN ARTICLE THAT CAN INSPIRE MINDS AND CHANGE LIVES OF THE YOUTH IN THE NIGERIAN TERTIARY INSTITUTION AND PROPEL THEM TO TAKE INSTANT ACTIONS AND BIRTHS THEIR VISIONS FOR THE TRANSFORMATION OF OUR BELOVED NATION!

Ø  FORWARD IT TO: 

REACH US TODAY!    
YOU CAN ALSO INVITE US TO TAKE COVERAGE OF HAPPENINGS ON CAMPUSES WITHIN NIGERIAN INSTITUTION SO THAT WE CAN GET THEM PUBLISHED HERE! AND IN CASE YOU WANT TO SHOWCASE YOUR POTENTIALS OR ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCTS AT AN AFFORDABLE RATE. GIVE US A CALL TODAY!

JAMES ASU
(Purpose Coach)
President,
School of Purpose Discovery International
(SOPDI)
+2348169653332
WOULDN’T YOU RATHER PARTNER WITH US TODAY?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PUSH FOR TRUE CHANGE? Austria on December 12, 2018, made history by electing the world's youngest president, who is 31 years old. His name is Sebastian Kurz. Before those elections, he was the country's foreign minister. While our youth are contented with being used, praise singers and be special assistants on social media, youth elsewhere are disrupting the status quo, pushing for innovation, changing the narrative and pushing for new frontiers. From Facebook to Snapchat and Taxify, these tech giants were founded by millennials who are youth. Mark Zukerberg is just 32 years old and the youngest billionaire in the world. The bar has been raised in Austria, that elected a 31 year old man, as its leader. A 31 year old man in Africa, is probably in his parents house, unemployed, broke, eating free food and not bothered. The 31 year old Africans are feeling big, supporting politicians (who directly or indirectly put us in the mess we are in),
WE DON'T DO NORMAL ANYMORE Nri Chinenye Audrey. It has been overwhelming, overwhelmingly exhausting. With every second of exhaustion died the dream and the promise to stay true to myself To be relevant To live and answer to my calling That voice within slowly becoming stifled as I gradually eased into the oblivion where I do not need to work my mind of creativity Where I become normal, regular And my purpose and calling to life, dead... Somewhere, somewhere within, the voice cried My conscience cried out powerfully loud in its small voice to remind me of our pact, that... WE DON'T DO NORMAL ANYMORE. And I awakened.. . . . What is your dream? What challenges are you going through that has made you so weary to the point of forfeiting your dreams? What is that thing that is causing you great distractions? The road to achieving much in life comes with many obstacles. Sometimes you get distracted, confused, overwhelmed, weary from failing too many a time. Whil
FROM AN INSECURE HOUSEWIFE TO AN INTERNATIONAL CELEBRATED MAKEUP ARTIST By Love Olaleye As an undergraduate in the university, I engaged in different business like buying and selling clothes, making zobo, just to earn some money to augment the pocket money that never seemed enough. None of these businesses brought me the kind of joy I experienced when I decided to pursue my passion in makeup. First I became a Mary Kay rep; I would sell and show students how to use the products they bought. The joy that beams on their faces was fulfilling, despite the frustration of running after debtors. I remember my first bride who happened to have been my friend who was kind enough to allow me experiment on her face. As I drove out early hours of the morning around 6am, my car brakes suddenly failed, I ran into a tree off the road but God saved me, no scratch, I came out and the car was badly damaged. As the car was being towed home, it was a decisive moment, I had to decide wheth