Skip to main content


I FEEL FLY WHENEVER I SEE MY DESIGN OUTSIDE THE REACH OF AFRICA.

“When he left ehnnn, my people, I cried, cried, cried and cried. And to make it worst, am to resume everyday in my school uniform as the uniform for the fashion designing......that Man ehnnn!”



Really I do not know where to start from but let me start with a story I will always tell my kids and grandchildren.

Growing up was not too easy for me because I was stubborn and I had a disciplinarian and a strict man as a father. He will always force me to study at night before sleeping and in the morning before going to school, but me, ehnnn, I don't like this thing they call book. NAH! NAH! But one thing I can do WELL is SKETCHING, sewing dresses for dolls and anything handy and outside reading but not reading even story books makes me sleep.

So it happen that one day after end of second term in JSS 3, I was given my report card and it was written 'advice to go to commercial class' instead of Science (Dad's choice).
That day I knew am finished. As a usual practice, I hide my result under the pillow if I don't get any of the 1st to 5th position.
Unluckily for me, Dad came to my room and flipped up the pillow innocently and so the report card fell and he picked it up and went through it and he saw 'advice to go to commercial class'.....(Pls imagine the rest of the story).

Uhnnnnn, Next day my dad did not waste time to flog me or even raise his voice or show any sign of disappointment, instead he took me to a church members shop who is into fashion designing right in front of my beautiful school and told her this is my new school that he is done paying my school fees, and off he left. I was wandering what was going on like say I don't understand.

When he left ehnnn, my people, I cried, cried, cried and cried. And to make it worst, am to resume everyday in my school uniform as the uniform for the fashion designing......that Man ehnnn!

For one week I resume at Sis Yemisi's shop but not in my uniform (i will change it on the road na......smart olodo girl lol).

After one week, Sis Yemisi who was 6 months pregnant decided to visit our house and beg dad for me. On seeing my dad, to the ground she prostrated with her pregnancy. Na so Dad change his mind. That moment, I wept sincerely and promised to be serious with my books.

Today is a smiling day for me and so every other day.....that story above is now a history to be shared.

But one thing Sis Yemisi told me was;
Bola, book plus Fashion designing is equal to thousands of naira not this small small hundreds am charging, I can see you have develop interest in this but go back and read your book cause I want to be an International designer.

Today, I can't remember how many dresses I have made for people locally and some other parts of the world.
I feel fly whenever I see my design outside the reach of Africa.
At the same time I do some official duties from Monday to Saturday.
I take my Career serious but I love my Fashion work.
I gave in to my talent of making good use of my handy works. I remember back in campus, whenever am bored I go to the church and begin draw. whatever I see posted on the wall. I WILL JUST SKETCH.

After I failed my Diploma (Yes I failed and it was not over) and am to repeat my failed courses for first semester only, I enrolled in a fashion design school for the other 2nd semester (three months) and that is where my passion and drive for fashion designing begin to have a shape.

Here I am today, am happy with myself I must tell you.
Thou Dad frowned at the idea of me learning tailoring while studying, but I learnt it secretly in school and I tried managed it with my academics.
Am happy I learned secretly.
 
I can't remember the last time I visited a tailor for any reason.
 
Remember the Parable of the talents in the Bible (Matthew 25:14-30)

I pray this inspires someone.

I'M Vivian Abimbola Akwetey

Comments

  1. A NEW NOTE, A MUST READ: I FEEL FLY WHENEVER I SEE MY DESIGN OUTSIDE THE REACH OF AFRICA!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PUSH FOR TRUE CHANGE? Austria on December 12, 2018, made history by electing the world's youngest president, who is 31 years old. His name is Sebastian Kurz. Before those elections, he was the country's foreign minister. While our youth are contented with being used, praise singers and be special assistants on social media, youth elsewhere are disrupting the status quo, pushing for innovation, changing the narrative and pushing for new frontiers. From Facebook to Snapchat and Taxify, these tech giants were founded by millennials who are youth. Mark Zukerberg is just 32 years old and the youngest billionaire in the world. The bar has been raised in Austria, that elected a 31 year old man, as its leader. A 31 year old man in Africa, is probably in his parents house, unemployed, broke, eating free food and not bothered. The 31 year old Africans are feeling big, supporting politicians (who directly or indirectly put us in the mess we are in),
WE DON'T DO NORMAL ANYMORE Nri Chinenye Audrey. It has been overwhelming, overwhelmingly exhausting. With every second of exhaustion died the dream and the promise to stay true to myself To be relevant To live and answer to my calling That voice within slowly becoming stifled as I gradually eased into the oblivion where I do not need to work my mind of creativity Where I become normal, regular And my purpose and calling to life, dead... Somewhere, somewhere within, the voice cried My conscience cried out powerfully loud in its small voice to remind me of our pact, that... WE DON'T DO NORMAL ANYMORE. And I awakened.. . . . What is your dream? What challenges are you going through that has made you so weary to the point of forfeiting your dreams? What is that thing that is causing you great distractions? The road to achieving much in life comes with many obstacles. Sometimes you get distracted, confused, overwhelmed, weary from failing too many a time. Whil
FROM AN INSECURE HOUSEWIFE TO AN INTERNATIONAL CELEBRATED MAKEUP ARTIST By Love Olaleye As an undergraduate in the university, I engaged in different business like buying and selling clothes, making zobo, just to earn some money to augment the pocket money that never seemed enough. None of these businesses brought me the kind of joy I experienced when I decided to pursue my passion in makeup. First I became a Mary Kay rep; I would sell and show students how to use the products they bought. The joy that beams on their faces was fulfilling, despite the frustration of running after debtors. I remember my first bride who happened to have been my friend who was kind enough to allow me experiment on her face. As I drove out early hours of the morning around 6am, my car brakes suddenly failed, I ran into a tree off the road but God saved me, no scratch, I came out and the car was badly damaged. As the car was being towed home, it was a decisive moment, I had to decide wheth